These super healthy brownies are made with coconut flour.
Traditional white flour vs. coconut flour.
- Bleached. This is a process where usually benzoyl peroxide is used to remove healthy antioxidants from the grain. If benzoyl peroxide sounds familiar to you it is because it is in popular topical acne medication. YUCK! The European Union, Canada, China and other countries have BANNED the use of benzoyl peroxide and other peroxide in flour due to health concerns.
- Stripped of nutrition in the refinement process. That’s right! Just about every nutrient that God put in that grain is removed by man to improve shelf life. Silly Humans!
- Bleached wheat can be very hard on the digestive tract especially if someone is missing the enzymes to break down wheat.
- Supports the reduction of harmful bacteria in the body.
- Supports the reduction of harmful fungi in the body.
- Easy on the liver and digestive tract to digest.
- The fiber in coconut flour promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria in the GI tract.
- Good for the Immune System
Verdict: Coconut flour beats the heck out of traditional white flour in the brownie baking department as far as I’m concerned.
Here’s the recipe for these great brownies. You can make them over the holidays for the entire family to enjoy.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour. (Only 6 grams of fiber, 3 grams carbs, 3 grams protein, 2.5 grams fat per serving).
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax or chia (optional, you can add this for extra nutrition or you can add 2 tablespoons of organic, raw, shredded coconut)
- 5 eggs
- 8 dates
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- 1 and ¾ cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
- Pour the dates in the blender and blend until they are in small pieces. Then add all the liquid items together, eggs, the vanilla, almond milk…… Blend these all together.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix. You should have a thick but pourable batter. If it is still too think just add additional almond milk.
- Grease your 8X8 baking pain with coconut oil and pour the above mixture in the pan.
- Bake on 350 for about 20 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the brownies and it comes out dry. Some ovens cook a bit faster so keep an eye on it around the 15 minute mark.
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts or chopped unsweetened chocolate.
Optional: you can add the following to increase sweetness:
- more dates
- 10 to 20 drops of chocolate Stevia (you can avoid the dates and sugar all together and just use the Chocolate Stevia if you’d like. We sell this at the office.)
- ¼ cup of Sugar in the Raw
Dr. Rob :).