Raw Food – In this impromptu video, Dr. Rob shows you how to soak your nuts and seeds and teaches you how to know if they are bad and should be discarded. There are precise step-by-step instructions below showing how to do this procedure. Plus a handy Soaking Time Chart for various nuts and seeds. Enjoy!
Raw Food – Soaking Nuts and Seeds – How and Why
Soaking Nuts and Seeds
- Place your raw nuts or seeds in a clean bowl. The size of the bowl should be at least twice as large as the volume of nuts. Meaning if you have two cups of nuts you will need a bowl that will hold at least 4 cups of water.
- Add clean or filtered water. I personally use Reverse Osmosis Water with a remineralizer at the end.
- Cover the seeds or nuts with plastic wrap.
- Soak for the designated time (see graph below).
- After the time has expired rinse them thoroughly and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Refrigerator: You may store them in a plastic zip lock bag for about 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. Make sure to place a couple pieces of paper towel in the plastic bag to soak up any extra moisture.
- Dehydrate: You may place them in your oven for 106 degrees Fahrenheit for about 12 hours or if you own a dehydrator, follow the instructions. It is usually about 12 hours to dehydrate nuts and about 8 to dehydrate seeds. They are done when they are firm and dry.
- For a salty flavor: before you dehydrate toss nuts with some Brags Amino Acids.
- For a sweet flavor: before you dehydrate sprinkle a little Himalayan Salt and then drizzle some raw, organic honey. If you want to kick it up a notch, sprinkle some ground cayenne pepper over the honey drizzle.
- Other combinations that are good:
- Honey, Himalayan Salt and ginger.
- Brags Amino Acids and Turmeric.
- Of course, melted dark chocolate with sea salt 🙂
I hope you enjoy and please share this recipe with your friends and family!
Raw Food – Soaking Nuts Time Chart
|Brazil||12-16 Hours but not a good nut to soak|
|Cashews (really more like a bean than a nut).||2-4 Hours|
|Flax Seed & Pumpkin||6 Hours|
|Sunflower Seed||2 Hours|
|Sesame and Chia||8 Hours|
Free Consultations with our Certified Nutritional Counselor! Fill out our Free Online Weight Loss & Health Evaluation, call 770-304-1500 up until midnight any night or scroll to the bottom of the page and fill out the contact form and one of my amazing staff will help you ASAP!.