Homemade baked apples is one of the most decadent comfort foods on the planet. Overall, baked apples have the same nutrient density that of a raw apple. One cup of unsweetened baked apple provides 105 calories, 1 gram of protein, and 28 grams of total carbohydrates. More than half of the fiber of an apple is found in the skin! We love baking this recipe in the Fall season and enjoying them steamy, right out of the oven. A simple recipe turns this little power fruit into a rich and healthy dessert in just minutes!
Homemade Baked Apples with Cashew Topping
Total Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 4 firm cooking apples (granny smith, golden delicious, macintosh)
- 8 tbsp. raisins
- 8 tbsp cinnamon to taste
- ½ cup raw cashew, roughly chopped
- Pure vanilla extract
- With a knife, cut apples horizontally around the middle to keep the skin from splitting during baking.
- Core apples and fill the center of each with 2 tbsp. raisins.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 °F for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- While apples are baking, whirl cashews in a blender, adding water gradually until you get the consistency you prefer. (The longer you blend, the smoother the mixture becomes.)
- add a few drops of pure organic vanilla extract.
- Spoon over hot apples.
If you’d rather, please feel free to also fill out the Free Online Weight Loss & Health Evaluation and then receive a free consultation to review your results.