Easy to make, easy to eat. This is the kind of meal that makes you happy to be at home for dinner.
1 ½ pound skirt steak, cut into small cubes
1 teaspoon baking powder, see notes
1 tablespoons coconut aminos
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 sprigs rosemary
1-inch piece of lemon rind
1 teaspoon fine salt, divided
3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil, divided
½ cup sliced onion
2 cloves garlic minced
1-pound trimmed broccoli florets
Juice of 2 lemons
- Heat a 16” cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- While it comes to temperature, toss the steak cubes with the baking powder until well coated.
- Add in the aminos and fish sauce, rosemary sprig, lemon rice and ¼ teaspoon salt, mix well and let it marinate until the skillet gets hot.
- When the skillet comes to temperature, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Put half of the beef in the skillet, adding one piece at a time, making sure none of the pieces are touching each other.
- Cook here, undisturbed for 2 minutes, then use tongs to turn the pieces over and cook for 2 more minutes. The cubes should have a nice, dark, glossy crust on the sides that were browned.
- Remove the cooked pieces from the skillet and brown the rest of the meat in the same way.
- When every piece has been cooked, add them all back in to the skillet to mix with the rosemary, lemon and remaining marinade, then transfer the beef to a bowl and set it all aside. This last step should happen quickly so you don’t overcook the beef.
- Put the remaining oil in the skillet, add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring often until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and remaining salt, and sauté, stirring often until tender and bright green, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, deglazing the skillet and mixing all the flavor into the broccoli.
- Add the beef back into the skillet, mix well and serve right away!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, sauté on low until warmed through.
To make corn free baking powder sift together equal parts baking soda, cream of tartar and arrowroot starch. Store in an airtight jar in a cool dry place.
Substitutions: To make this coconut free use gluten free tamari, liquid amino or balsamic vinegar.
- SERVING SIZE: 1/4 recipe
- CALORIES: 395
- FAT: 20g
- CARBOHYDRATES: 11g
- FIBER: 3.1g
- PROTEIN: 46.1g