Is HPO Axis Causing Female Problems?
Is the HPO axis causing your female problems? The first thing we need to do is understand what the HPO axis is.
H = The Hypothalamus is a gland in your brain that controls your hormone system. It plays a part in many functions of the body such as: appetite and weight control, body temperature, emotions, sleep cycles and thirst. It also releases hormones to the Pituitary gland, which sends hormones out to your different organs.
P = The Pituitary gland is about the size of a pea and is situated at the base of your brain. The pituitary gland is often called the master gland because it controls several other hormone glands in your body, including the thyroid, adrenals, and the ovaries. Pituitary disorders occur when the pituitary gland makes too much or too little of a particular hormone.
The HPO axis is the major regulator of the female reproductive system. Fluctuations in this axis cause changes in the hormones produced by each gland and have systemic effects on the body. For instance, a breakdown in the HPO axis can mimic thyroid problems. So we think our symptoms are a thyroid issue when it’s really the HPO axis dysfunction causing our female problems.
The specific symptoms of HPO axis dysfunction are:
- Pear shaped body. You will collect fat around the hips, thighs and buttocks
- chocolate or salty chocolate craving
- hot flashes
- night sweats
- knee pain that can alternate between the knees
- anxiety – feeling anxious, can’t settle your body down especially at night time
- depression – you have a great life you just can’t seem to get out of the funk your in
- darkening of facial hair
- estrogen dominance meaning, increased estrogen levels relative to progesterone levels
Help is On the Way!
If you are struggling with an adrenal weight or health concern of any type, please take a moment to fill out the Free Hormonal and Weight evaluation below. If your weight is normal but you still have any type of health concern, please fill out the evaluation as it’s great for everyone.